Noah Frank uses his awards predictor formula at Baseball Prospectus, looking at both MVP and Cy Young awards, which will be announced in two weeks.
Among the predictions is Dodgers pitcher Max Scherzer finishing third in National League Cy Young voting. Scherzer figures to test whether Frank’s model should account for recency bias.
“The model has Scherzer a very close third in the vote,” Frank wrote. “If voters give more weight to his strong finish, he could easily finish second or win the award outright.”
Scherzer in 11 regular season starts with the Dodgers was 7-0 with a 1.98 ERA and 1.96 FIP with 89 strikeouts and eight walks in 68⅓ innings.
See where Frank predicts Walker Buehler and Julio Urías will finish in Cy Young voting, and where Trea Turner will finish in NL MVP voting at Baseball Prospectus.
- Dustin Nosler resumed the annual tradition of picking an all-prospect team at Dodgers Digest, with many of the prospects you might be familiar with. A few others perhaps a bit under the radar are first baseman Justin Yurchak — “He could carve out a Matt Beaty-like role on a second-division team, minus the ability to play a corner outfield spot,” says Nosler — and shortstop Eddys Leonard.
- With the collective bargaining agreement expiring on December 1, Evan Drellich at The Athletic looks at what might happen if the owners lockout the players in December, and what it might mean for labor negotiations between players and owners.
- Bill Shaikin at the Los Angeles Times writes about a wrinkle in MLB’s domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse policy, namely that the previous 14 suspensions under the system were all negotiated between the league and player. As this pertains to Trevor Bauer, who is still on paid administrative leave after missing the final 81 games of 2021, Shaikin notes, “The terms of MLB negotiated settlements cannot be used as precedent in an arbitration hearing.”
- Shaikin also has a detailed FAQ of what could come next for Bauer.
- Rob Mains at Baseball Prospectus dug deeper into 2021 MLB attendance, looking for a true comparison to 2019 rather than just raw crowd totals.
- Official friend of True Blue LA, Dodger Thoughts creator, and published author Jon Weisman has a new outlet for writing. His twice-weekly newsletter, Slayed by Voices, will dissect songs that are important to him. The first entry is on ‘Red Dirt Girl’ by Emmylou Harris.