It wasn’t too long ago when Gavin Lux was the Dodgers’ top prospect and one of the top prospects in all of baseball. Many were expecting him to be LA’s starting second baseman for 2020.
Lux reported late to camp last season and never seemed to really figure things out as the plate. In 19 games, Lux hit .175 and struck out about 30 percent of the time.
Entering 2021, the Dodgers were hopeful Lux could turn things around and earn the starting second baseman job. Well, safe to say he’s done that as we head into the season.
“We see Gavin as an every day guy, versus right and left,” Dave Roberts said on Sunday night. “He is going to have some off-days throughout the year. It will most likely be against left-handed pitching. As far as LHP, he’s always handled them and hit them well.”
This spring, Lux has hit .356 with an OPS of just below .900. He hit a home run with six runs driven in and four doubles. However, he did strike out nearly 33 percent of the time, so hopefully he’ll be able to bring that down during the season. But hey, if he’s able to hit about .300 on the season, that’s a problem the Dodgers won’t have to necessarily worry about from their No. 8 hitter in the lineup.
With Lux likely seeing a bulk of the time at second base, that will allow Chris Taylor to spend more time at other positions, such as left field, shortstop and third base whenever he’s needed. Plus he’ll see a solid amount of time at second base as well.
Dodgers news and notes
- David Price was scheduled to pitch on Sunday, but felt under the weather Sunday morning. The plan is for him to pitch on Monday at Dodger Stadium.
- Walker Buehler will pitch in a simulated game on Monday.
- Roberts said that Cody Bellinger will begin the season in the No. 4 spot in the lineup. Max Muncy will hit either fifth or sixth, depending on the matchup.
- Dustin May is starting for the Dodgers on Tuesday, but Roberts still won’t announce who the fifth starter will be for LA.
- With 13 position players left on the active roster, it’s looking like Zach McKinstry will make the Opening Day roster as a utility player.