With Max Muncy on paternity leave and Mookie Betts and Cody Bellinger unavailable, the Dodgers added some depth to their bench on Saturday. The team called up outfielder Luke Raley and optioned pitcher Darien Núñez.
This will be Raley’s fifth stint in Los Angeles with the Dodgers. In 27 games, he’s hitting .180 with a home run and two runs driven in. Although he’s struggled in the big leagues, Raley has been excellent in Oklahoma City. In 42 games there, he’s posted a .948 OPS and has nine home runs and 43 RBI.
Núñez gets sent back down after appearing in last night’s game. He allowed one run in 1 1⁄3 innings of action. He has appeared in five games for the Dodgers this year, allowing five runs in 7 1⁄3 innings.
The Dodgers now have 13 position players and 13 pitchers, though they only have three available options off the bench with Bellinger and Betts both out.
Update: 5:30 p.m. PT
If you thought the Dodgers could go a day without placing a player on the injured list, you thought wrong. LA recalled Mitch White and placed Jimmie Sherfy on the injured list with right elbow inflammation.
This will be White’s fifth stint with the big-league club this season. He’s posted a 3.93 ERA with 19 strikeouts in 13 games for LA. Sherfy appeared in last night’s game, allowing three runs on two hits while pitching the 10th inning.
Other news and notes
- The goal and hope is to have Mookie Betts play on Tuesday in San Francisco. He’s still day-to-day.
- Cody Bellinger could potentially see some action at first base when he comes back, limiting his running to help his hamstring.
- Corey Seager will go to Arizona and play in some live games at Camelback Ranch early next week. Hopefully he can join the Dodgers next weekend.
- Joe Kelly isn’t available out of the bullpen. Dave Roberts said he felt soreness after his outing from the other night. The hope is the pain isn’t longterm.
- Clayton Kershaw will throw a simulated game early next week. Once he gets through that, there’s a chance he could go on a rehab assignment. Will depend how he feels after it.