Fear not, Steven Souza Jr. truthers. He’s back.
After being designated for assignment earlier in the week, the veteran outfielder was reassigned to Oklahoma City and will join the Triple-A team. This was the second time this season that Souza Jr. was DFA’d by the Dodgers.
It’s unlikely he gets added to the 40-man roster again at some point this season, but if for whatever reason the Dodgers need an outfielder..... he’s available down there.
Player of the day
There wasn’t a player who stood out with their performance, but shoutout to the Quakes for scoring five runs in the eighth inning to complete their comeback victory.
Triple-A Oklahoma City
The Dodgers fell in extras to the Round Rock Express (Rangers) 6-5. Both teams entered the 10th inning tied at four. James Pazos allowed two runs in the top half of the inning, putting OKC behind two runs. The Dodgers answered with a run in the bottom half of the inning, but their comeback fell just short as they lost by a run.
Matt Davidson drove in two runs and hit his 25th homer of the season. Luke Raley then hit his 18th homer in the seventh inning. Christian Santana continued his hot month of September as he recorded a hit and drove in two runs.
The Midland RockHounds (Athletics) scored a run over the final three innings, defeating the Drillers 5-3. Ryan Noda recorded two hits and reached base with a walk, while Devin Mann hit his 14th homer of the season. That was really the lone offense on the night
High-A Great Lakes
A five-run inning early on put this one out of reach, as the Loons took down the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (Brewers) 9-4.
Carson Taylor hit a two-run homer in the second inning, his ninth homer of the season for Great Lakes. Ryan January followed with a homer of his own, the 11th of his season. Zac Ching walked a few batters later, and Deacon Liput crushed his 12th homer of the season to put the Loons up 5-0.
The Loons’ offense added a run in the third inning and then another in the fourth inning. They added two more in the sixth courtesy of an Andy Pages double and Jorbit Vivas sacrifice fly.
Jesus Vargas had one of his best outings of the season for the Loons. The 23-year-old gave the Loons five innings and allowed only one run. His seven strikeouts were tied for the second most he’s had in a game in 2021.
Low-A Rancho Cucamonga
A five-run eighth inning helped the Quakes complete the comeback as they took down the Visalia Rawhide (DBacks) 8-6.
RC entered the eighth inning trailing 4-3. They were able to tie the game without having to even put the ball in play. Four walks helped them tie the game at four. With the bases still loaded, Luis Yanel Diaz tripled to clear the bases, putting Rancho ahead 7-4. He came in to score on a wild pitch, putting the Quakes up 8-4.
Things got interesting in the ninth as the Rawhide scored two runs and brought the tying run to the plate, but the Quakes left with the victory.
Kendall Williams allowed three runs in his three innings, allowing two home runs. He struck out three and didn’t issue a walk. Ben Casparius, LA’s fifth round pick this year, made his Quakes debut. He tossed a scoreless inning, walking two and striking out one.
- Andy Burns assigned to Oklahoma City Dodgers from ACL Dodgers.
- RHP Markus Solbach assigned to Tulsa Drillers from Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 2B Carlos Asuaje roster status changed by Oklahoma City Dodgers.
- RHP Ben Casparius assigned to Rancho Cucamonga Quakes from ACL Dodgers.
- LHP Adam Scoggins assigned to Rancho Cucamonga Quakes from ACL Dodgers.
- RHP Jimmy Lewis roster status changed by Rancho Cucamonga Quakes.
- Rancho Cucamonga Quakes activated OF Luke McKenzie
- RHP Huei-Sheng Lin roster status changed by Rancho Cucamonga Quakes.
- RHP Kyle Hurt roster status changed by Rancho Cucamonga Quakes.
- Round Rock 6, Oklahoma City 5
- Midland 5, Tulsa 3
- Great Lakes 9, Wisconsin 4
- Rancho Cucamonga 8, Visalia 6
- 4:05 p.m. PT: Wisconsin (Justin Jarvis) at Great Lakes (TBA)
- 5:00 p.m. PT: Tulsa (Gus Varland) at Midland (TBA)
- 5:05 p.m. PT: Round Rock (Collin Wiles) at Oklahoma City (TBA)
- 6:30 p.m. PT: Visalia (TBA) at Rancho Cucamonga (TBA)